Author: The Prairie Homestead
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 1.5 quarts
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, divided (frozen will work in a pinch, if you must)
- ¾ cup organic evaporated cane juice sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups heavy cream or half n half
- In a small saucepan, mash together the sugar and 1 cup of blueberries with 1 tablespoon water.
- Cook the sugar/blueberry mixture over medium-low heat for 5-8 minutes and allow them to simmer and thicken. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, combine the cooled mixture, the remaining fresh blueberries, buttermilk, cream cheese, vanilla, salt, and lemon zest. Blend until mixed completely.
- Stir in the cream/half n' half and allow to chill for one hour.
- Freeze in a 2-quart ice cream maker according to manufacturer's recommendations.
- Serve immediately, or place in freezer for a while to harden it up a bit, if you prefer harder ice cream.
- Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs, if desired.