Wilton Cake Decorating Class Level 1

So last week I started Wilton's Cake Decorating Class..Level One. There are four levels. So far its been awesome!!! So much fun. I've learned so much. I really thought I knew alot about baking...well let's just say its one of those the more you learn...the more you realize how little you do know....ughhh...yep. Last week I learned how to use tips, fill a icing bag, how to even get a icing back started with a tip and a coupler. Yes I now know what a coupler is??? LOL. This week I learned how to make homemade butter cream icing...and how not to make it.. I didn't add enough powdered sugar...so we could use parchment paper on the crust layer to make it smooth..it was to sticky. Even without that my cake was perfectly smooth using a Wilton spatula...which is awesome. I learned how to effectively ice a cake... I mean come on I've iced 1,000's and I guess I never was doing it quite right. Well at least icing it so it look professional. Tonite I made a cake that I was very proud of and it looked semi-professional, and really looked like a actual store bought Birthday cake...woohoo! I learned about how to make all kinds of interesting designs using tips, how to torrent a cake. Make a damn, and fill it with pudding. So cool, I'm so excited to torrent cakes and fill them with all kids of yummy stuff. If your wondering about what torrent means? It means to level up to cake using a cake leveler...aka trimming off the top so every things flat and perfect..smile. Love it! I was also super impressed at how two simple layers made out of a box cake can be made into 2 separate cakes beautifully decorated, standing tall, and proud on their own. Today I made a lemon cake, we filled it with vanilla pudding, and topped it with almond flavored butter cream icing. Yummy. Below are some basics from the class.
Buttercream Icing Recipe
Well the strange thing is that the recipe on the website, is not the same one that we used in the book...hmmm So the second recipe is our book recipe.I'm sure both are good...

Ingredients

Makes

About 2 1/4 cups of icing.
Second Buttercream Icing Recipe
1 cup Shortening
4 cups powdered sugar
8 teaspoons milk or water
3 teaspoons meringue powder
1 tablespoon flavor extract of choice

Overview

Learn how to decorate cakes and sweet treats with basic buttercream techniques and six simple-to-pipe flowers that transform ordinary cakes into extraordinary results. Your Certified Wilton Method Instructor will help you pipe classic buttercream decorating techniques to create modern and traditional cake designs.

Details

Your Certified Wilton Method Instructor will help you each step of the way, as you learn how easy it can be to:
  • Make icing the right consistency to decorate
  • Fill and use a decorating bag
  • Ice and decorate a cake and other sweet treats with the latest techniques
  • Make six different buttercream icing flowers
  • Pipe lines and make simple borders, letters and shapes on your cake
  • Transfer images to a cake to decorate


Comments

Popular Posts