"Let's Talk Tomatoes"

As a Master Gardener I have to do so many advanced training hours every year..to stay current and certified.. It's really a good thing because it keeps us up to date with the latest in the ever growing ever changing gardening/horticultural world. I must admit in years past I have been a big slacker when it came to keeping up with my advanced training hours..NO MORE!! Today I went to a seminar given by the Clark County Extension called "Lets Talk Tomatoes". It was a very interesting presentation to say the least. I learned many things about the different diseases that may strike our beloved tomato plants. I found out information on many different varieties..heirloom and hybrid. Oh my personal favorite of the day the Indeterminant vs the Determinant tomato plants!! I learned why tomato plants get tall and leggy, and how to plant them when they do?? Yes there is a preferred method of doing so!! I learned that tomato plants from the nursery should be hardened off a week or so before planting. This means you slowly introduce your plants into the bright sunny conditions of your garden, weaning them away from the controlled climate of the greenhouse. Putting them in to quickly may cause the plant to go into shock and stunt them.. I heard how tilling isn't always the best choice?? Apparently it can cause drainage problems in the future, and bring to the surface lots of weeds and disease?? Who knew?? Oh and I must inquire about the whole "NO Till Gardening Methodology"...You should plant your tomato plants on a mild day like 70 degree temperatures, no wind... these are ideal planting conditions.  Plants should be spread 18 inches apart to allow for proper air circulation between plants. Poor air circulation causes disease. Also water once or twice a week 6 inches deep..none of this everyday sprinkling...Well I'm armed with lots of new info and a desire to plant as many different varieties as possible, yellow, purple, maybe even green..weird!! Wish me luck!



 I'm trying a Black Krim tomato plant this year, which is a Heirloom variety.. This tomato is pictured above and has a rich meaty deep color.. Can't wait to try it.. Supposedly heirloom varieties are more flavorful.. But on the downside they are not as resistant to disease and pests. Basically heirloom means that the variety has been around a long time and is open pollinated, not a hybrid.

Comments

Popular Posts