Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!Happy Thanksgiving to all!! First off we all awoke to yet another snow....Thankfully...no pun intended the snow didn't stick on the roads so were all good. Yesterday I made a pumpkin cake with maple cream cheese icing...you know the one I won the baking contest with.. I felt like that cake was a pretty safe bet sooo..I went with it. Last night late I put on a sweet ham complete with pineapple juice and brown sugar. Today we sliced it. It looks pretty yummy, but I'm afraid my dad isn't going to like it...he likes very plain, very boring food...I mean he eats his baked potato plain, no butter, no sour cream...blahh. But that's my dad. I also made coleslaw this morning with apples and a sweet honey mustard sauce...Later I get to make the famous Lopp grits...a tradition in our family. I know the first year I made the grits after Grandma Margie died my dad sat there on the couch watching me in sheer horror.."Make sure your stirring them!" He exclaimed... He was so worried I was going to burn them, mess them up, or do something totally wrong...He was so used to Grandma making them,,,but they turned out fine. And now I think he has confidence in me to do them correctly.... A great accomplishment. Here I've listed the recipe for our famous grits...
 Grits Casserole...
4 cups of whole milk
1 stick butter
1 cup grits
2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
1 cup of Gruyere Cheese...you have to have this type...no substitutions...At least that's what Grandma always said!

Bring milk to a boil. Add butter and cheese. After butter and cheese are completely melted..add the grits, salt and pepper. Boil till thick, remove from heat, beat hard for 5 mins. Pour into a buttered casserole dish. Melt another 1/3 cup butter and pour over top, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake for 30 mins at 375 degrees.. Enjoy the wonder nutty, cheesy flavor!

Comments

Popular Posts