That Inner Voice....

The other day while I was trolling the library for some interesting cookbooks, I happened upon this very interesting and hopefully enlightening book called, The Untethered Soul, By Micheal Singer. I read the back of the book and for some reason it drew me.. I'm always saying Help!!! Possibly this book is a answer to some of my pleas. So far the book discusses becoming aware of our Inner Voice...And Challenges the reader to become aware of, look within, and understand what it is our inner voice is actually telling us... Is it negative self talk, is it happy? For many it's definitely negative, and at times these negative thought patterns truly hinder or even destroy our lives. Truth be told negative self talk is more than negative thoughts...It's bigger because it's a ever present shout in our heads that we actually relate with, talk with on some level, and even listen to...in making decisions about our precious lives. As someone who has studied psychology this book really hits home, but also takes on a spiritual element that much of traditional psychology leaves out. I like that! For me I realize I'm a big self-talker, but maybe we all are? I talk to myself in the car on the way to work, or my friends house. Do I answer back? Well kind of, I literally am engaged in a conversation with myself, and the first move usually comes from that inner voice. I'm not sure if that's totally weird or not? Sometimes I talk to myself as a means of working out a problem, or a issue that keeps bouncing around in my head, sometimes because I don't feel like I have anyone that will understand, or listen, and sometimes I feel as if I'm talking to God and I'm laying out my case, my feelings. Yes that was totally a run on sentence...but hey!! I'm waiting to hear back, I want and look for signs. Am I simply missing them?? So I'm not sure what I do when I talk to me...and let me tell you they are some deep seeded, highly emotional conversations...UGHHH. Sometimes I literally feel drained after one of them. I know my inner voice is negative..for the most part. I'm aware of that. My inner voice is plagued with doubt, hurt, anger, resentment, worry, and guilt... Oh my precious guilt, as Lestat commented in Interview with the Vampire..."Oh how you love your precious guilt." Do I know where it comes from well kinda of...how do I get rid of it?? I have know idea?? But this book has made me realize that my inner voice is truly a little gremlin hell bent of sucking the life out of me...or so it would seem. That voice hurts me, torments me, and toys with my thoughts till sometimes I feel as if I'm going crazy???Is medication the answer to that? I've always been very against medicine. Anyone who knows me knows that. But is there a medicine that shuts out that part of ourselves, and allows our conscious self to just be free??? Is that even possible? Are there other methods in accomplishing that other than through chemicals? Maybe there is tea I could drink...smile.. I don't know I'm not far enough in the book yet. But I am aware...On a totally off kilter point that I'm sure will sound kind of strange...perhaps that voice is the price of power??
 
The chapters of this book are nothing but mirrors for seeing your ''self'' from different angles. And though the journey we are about to embark on is an inner one, it will draw upon every aspect of your life. The only requirement asked of you is the willingness to honestly look at yourself in the most natural, intuitive manner. Remember, if we are seeking the root of ''self,'' what we are actually seeking is you. As you read through these pages, you will find that you know much more than you thought you did about some very deep subjects. The fact is, you already know how to find yourself; you have just gotten distracted and disoriented. Once refocused, you will realize that you not only have the ability to find yourself, you have the ability to free yourself. Whether you choose to do so or not is entirely up to you. But upon completion of your journey through these chapters, there will be no more confusion, no more lack of empowerment, and no more blaming others. You will know exactly what must be done. And should you choose to devote yourself to the ongoing journey of self-realization, you will develop a tremendous sense of respect for who you really are. It is only then that you will come to appreciate the full depth of meaning in the advice: ''This above all: to thine own self be true.'' ---- Introduction

Comments

Popular Posts