"Seed Starting"

 I was browsing various horticultural Magazines online and I found one simply called, "Horticulture" a very fitting name. They had a post about a Photography Contest..Yahh!! I'm not sure I've mentioned how much I enjoy taking photos. I used to take so many photos, my computer hated to see me coming..that is until I realized they could all go on CD..LOL So I'm a little excited about that..I've attached a link to the site in case anyone else is interested in entering their contest. The prize is $1,000!! There was also a article on the site about starting your seeds indoors. Now as you know I'm not a huge fan of seed starting indoors but why not give it a try. The article seems to speak to the very problem I usually have with little sprouts started indoors. They suggest mixing potting soil with your seed starting mix??? I have to admit I'm a bit confused?? I always start my seeds in potting soil ..not seed starting mix. What is seed starting mix anyway? Mine always do great in potting soil!! Here is a answer to that very question.
Potting soil and "seed starting mix" are about the same thing, both made from peat moss, coir, finely shredded bark, or a combination of those. None of the commercially available soilless mixes will contain any mineral soil particles. I have found that products sold as "seed starting mixes" are usually a bit more expensive then most potting soils and may have more "fertilizer" (unnecessary) in them.
I have seen no difference in germination and growth between one or the other.  Of course the manufacturers and sellers of these products will tell you different because they make more profit selling the "seed starting mixes". So there you have it, and I'm sure everyone has their own ideas about whether to use potting soil or seed starting mix, I've even accidently used Garden Soil..oops!! But in my own experience potting soil works just fine for me. So I will continue to use it!!
 Planning to start your favorite seeds indoors? Great! Starting seeds is a rewarding and effective way to get a head start in your garden. However, once your seeds have begun to grow into small seedlings, sometimes even the most-promising sprouts don’t survive.To help your seeds develop into healthy, vigorous seedlings, you might try adding a nutrient-rich potting soil in with your seed-starting mix.Fill your sanitized containers halfway with a regular, nutrient-rich potting soil; then fill the pot the rest of the way with your sterile seed-starting mix. This way your seeds will sprout within the seed-starting mixture, which has the right texture and sterility for brand-new seedlings. Then, as the seedlings grow, their roots will push down into the fertile potting soil—which will give them a boost. http://www.hortmag.com/

Comments

Popular Posts